IDOT Dynamic Messaging System
John Burns Construction Company successfully installed Dynamic Messaging Systems throughout central Illinois Highways in 2014.
• Project goal was to install 9 fully programmable dynamic message signs equipped with CCTV cameras on I-39, I-80, and I-57 throughout central Illinois.
• Project consisted of 6 overhead sign structures spanning the highway, and 3 butterfly cantilever type signs.
• Each sign included 300 – 1,000 feet of guardrail installed on the edge of shoulder as crash hazard protection.
• The project included installation of 4 LCD TVs in IDOT District 3 headquarters, along with wireless communications to broadcast live video from each signs pole mounted CCTV camera to District 3 headquarters.
• All work, including sign burn in was completed in ~12 months.
• The newly installed DMS signs provide traffic updates and other informative messages to the motoring public.
• IDOT will be expanding its DMS program, in part due to the success of this project.