Metra Rock Island Station
John Burns Construction Company successfully completed the Metra RID West Embankment Project which included removing 13 existing railroad bridges.
• The Metra RID West Embankment Project stretched from 23rd Street thru 57th Street on the Metra Rock Island Line. This project included the removal of thirteen (13) existing railroad bridges.
• Of the thirteen bridges removed, seven (7) of the locations were backfilled for future track installation, three (3) new precast concrete bridges were installed for Metra maintenance vehicular traffic with cast in place barrier walls, and three (3) locations required new cast in place concrete abutment walls for future bridge installation.
• John Burns Construction Company also excavated and installed four (4) access ramps from street level to track level for Metra maintenance vehicles, installed 3,100 square feet of precast modular retaining walls, removed and replaced 7,500 square feet of sidewalk and 800 feet of curb and gutter.
• Installed new under-deck lighting at the three new bridge locations (26th St, 31st St, & 33rd St.) and new street lights were installed at the 55th Street location.
• This Project, which began in April 2011, was completed in December 2011 on schedule and under budget.