Client: DuPage County
Location: Winfield, IL
Year Completed: 2013
John Burns Construction Company constructed a new 15,000 sf building for DuPage County Children’s Advocacy Center.
- Construction of a new 15,000 sf structural steel and metal stud building, including two new parking lots. The building was set into a forest area requiring significant site clearing and tree removal.
- This project includes various high-efficiency features and is designed to achieve a LEED Silver rating. These features include daylight harvesting systems, photovoltaic panels, automated window venting, sunscreens and light shelves. The entire building HVAC system is controlled by a single rooftop unit separated into three zones.
- Site work includes green screens around the building, approximately 12,000sf of porous unit pavers, two separate 20 car parking lots, and a 600 foot long asphalt roadway.
- The building envelope is a mixture of rock-faced brick, a cement board siding rain screen system, and aluminum storefront. The building interior finishes are slate tile flooring, carpet tile, and painted drywall. Two large open office areas feature exposed ceilings with acoustical clouds and a sound masking system.
- This overall duration of this project was ten months, with the majority of the work occurring through the winter months.
- John Burns Construction self-performed all excavation and concrete work.